Understanding Over-the-Counter Medicines
Over-the-counter medicine is also known as OTC or nonprescription medicine. All these terms refer to medicine that you can buy without a prescription. They are safe and effective when you follow the directions on the label and as directed by your health care professional.
The information in this section will help you, working with your health care professionals, to choose and use over-the-counter medicine wisely.
- OTC Drug Facts Label
- Consumer Education Materials: Understanding Over-the-Counter Medicine
- Medicines in My Home (MIMH)
- Safe Daily Use of Aspirin
Tips For Parents about the safe use of over-the-counter (OTC) medicine
- Safe Use of OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Topical Antiseptic Products: Hand Sanitizers and Antibacterial Soaps
- Sunscreen Information This page provided consumer information about sunscreen and sun protection. It goes into the topics of SPF, ingredients, how to use properly, and other topics. Videos are also provided.
- How FDA strives to ensure the safety of OTC products Feature article
- Consumer Information: Safe Use of Over-the-Counter Drug Products
Ensuring Safe Use of Medicine
- Video: Taking Acetaminophen Safely
- Sunscreen Information: Important Changes
- Acetaminophen Information