Step-by-Step Instructions for Prior Notice for Food Articles in the Prior Notice System Interface (PNSI)
Since December 12, 2003, Prior Notice must be provided for all food for humans and animals that is imported or offered for import into the United States (Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR), Part 1, Subpart I). Prior notice can be provided in one of two ways:
- The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP, formerly the U.S. Customs Service) modified the Automated Broker Interface of the Automated Commercial Environment(ABI/ACE) to allow prior notice to be submitted to FDA through the existing interface between CBP and FDA.
- The Prior Notice System Interface (PNSI) is available to individuals or companies who cannot, or choose not to, file through CBP. PNSI submissions are expected to include prior notice for shipments through international mail; In-Bond entries or admissions into FTZ by carriers or others who do not need to make a full CBP entry at the time of filing the prior notice; filers or brokers who need to file CBP entries at a time the ACE/OASIS interface is not available, and others who simply prefer to use an interactive system.
PNSI Version 14.0.00 Instructions
- PNSI Terms
- Accessing the PNSI
- Creating a New Web Entry
- Creating and Saving a Prior Notice
- Completing a Web Entry
- Quick Start Guide for Prior Notice for Food Articles in PNSI
- Instructions for Food Articles Sent by International Mail
- Additional Capabilities in PNSI (Find, Cancel, and Copy Web Entries and Prior Notices)
- Time Saving Tips for PNSI
- PNSI Wizards
- Product Code Builder Tutorial
- Previous Versions of the PNSI
Screens, descriptions, and examples are subject to change as enhancements are made to the system. They are not intended to take the place of the written regulations found at: Final Rule (November 7, 2008).