Guidance for Industry: Voluntary Sodium Reduction Goals Target Mean and Upper Bound Concentrations for Sodium in Commercially Processed, Packaged, and Prepared Foods October 2021
- Docket Number:
- Issued by:
Guidance Issuing OfficeCenter for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
This guidance is intended to provide measurable voluntary short-term (2.5-year) goals for sodium content in commercially processed, packaged, and prepared foods to reduce excess population sodium intake, while recognizing and supporting the important roles sodium plays in food technology and food safety.
Sodium is widely present in the American diet (most commonly, but not exclusively, as a result of eating or drinking foods to which sodium chloride, commonly referred to as “salt,” has been added). More than 70 percent of total sodium intake is from sodium added during food manufacturing and commercial food preparation. Average sodium intake in the U.S. is approximately 3,400 milligrams/day (mg/day). The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 advises individuals 14 years and older to limit their consumption to 2,300 mg/day; this aligns with recommendations from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, which set the Chronic Disease Risk Reduction Intake for sodium at 2,300 mg/day for those 14 years and older.
Food Categories and Voluntary Targets for Sodium Reduction (Appendix Table 1) (XLSX: 43KB)
Summary Explanation of the Food Categories and Voluntary Targets for Sodium Reduction (Appendix Table 1) (PDF: 686KB)
Docket Folder and Key References
- Docket Folder FDA-2014-D-0055
- Reference 05 - Supplementary Materials Packet re Voluntary Sodium Reduction Goals (Previously Reference 17 in Draft Guidance)
- Reference 06 - Survey of Micro Issues in FDA Reg Products (Previously Reference 18 in Draft Guidance)
- Reference 07 - Survey of Micro Issues Meat and Poultry Products (Previously Reference 19 in Draft Guidance)
- Reference 08 - Salt Taste Preference and Sodium Alternatives (Previously Reference 20 in Draft Guidance)
- Sodium in the US Food Supply for Products in 2010
- Sodium Reduction
- Ingredients, Additives, GRAS & Packaging Guidance Documents & Regulatory Information
You can submit online or written comments on any guidance at any time (see 21 CFR 10.115(g)(5))
If unable to submit comments online, please mail written comments to:
Food and Drug Administration
5630 Fishers Lane, Rm 1061
Rockville, MD 20852
All written comments should be identified with this document's docket number: FDA-2014-D-0055.